Evaporating the smells…project #1 Deodorizing disks!

I feel like my whole week has been thrown off since New Year’s Eve was on Monday, but I keep thinking that it was over the weekend…needless to say I have to keep double checking the calendar! Whoops! So far I have not done to shabby on my New Year’s “projects,” I have accomplished a few work outs, eating decently, and of course my first Pinterest project is complete, “Deodorizing disks.” Todd and I both love a clean house…a clean FRESH smelling house, which means tackling on how to keep the garbage can “smelling fresh” at all times! This why I love Pinterest!! You can randomly come upon different ideas all the time! Now I have a very quick crawling nine month old (and almost walking!) so Pinterest pin hunting is saved for nap time and bed time. When I discovered this pin, making deodorizing disks…at first I was a skeptical, could something like this seriously be made that will actually work? And what do you know…it does!!! I made these on New Year’s Day. SO simple! I did go out and purchase a silicone mold mainly because I will use it for many different things. I found mine at Michael’s it was originally $9.99 but I had a 40% off coupon, so I ended up spending only $6 and some change! Anyways, it’s only a few ingredients that took to make these “magic” disks. Main ingredient? Baking soda…of course right? (I swear every “homemade cleaning agent” either has baking soda or vinegar) It also calls for essential oils…I cheated. I just got the oil that you use for bamboo sticks and things like that (it says essential oils in the ingredients…close enough in my book) that only was $2 at Walmart. So now to make these things…

“Magic” Deodorizing Disks

2 c. baking soda
1-2 c. distilled water (I just boiled my water like the lady suggested)
Your choice of essential oil scent (I already admitted…I cheated…hahaha…I did use Caribbean Breeze)
Silicone mold or muffin tin

Okay now to make it, I had my baking soda all measured out in a little mixing bowl, I would gradually add water, 1/2 c. at a time (for the essential oil…add 3-4 drops every 1/2c) I made a mistake of adding all 2 cups of water at once. It was too much, so mine the first time around were a little crumbly. They didn’t harden very well from all the extra water. You want the baking soda/water/essential oil to become a thick paste. Then divide it up into your mold or tin.

Image

This is what it looks like once it’s all in the mold…now the fun part…waiting. I waited 48 hours before I popped them out of the mold. Like I said before mine were more crumbly because I used too much water the first time around.

Image

BUT they work! Yesterday I was on a cleaning binge (the downstairs first, and today will be the upstairs!) so I decided to see if they work…I put one in our garbage can, I didn’t put a liner in because I wanted to see if it actually worked…oh my does it work! The garbage can smells AH-MAZING!!!!! I was so excited…so I ran upstairs and put one in our bathroom garbage and Ava’s diaper pail. I was so happy that it took care of the smell! YAY! I am pretty sure I did a happy dance in the kitchen…hahaha. I have 3 extra so I just put them in a ziploc baggy and put them underneath the kitchen sink for later use. The lady on her website said they last about a month or so. We shall see…I’ll do an update later down to let you all know!

I will be posting either tomorrow or Saturday my recipes of the week! Have a good afternoon!

 

 

Here’s the link to the website that I got the recipe from!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s